Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Athletes on the job

by Dave Ricci, Metro Source

Though the 2010-11 school year has faded into the history books, all over Western New York hundreds of student-athletes took with them the satisfaction of a job well done, off the playing field, as well as on.

In my 10 years over covering scholastic athletics I never cease to be amazed by those kids that find a way to have it all. The kids who are not only top-tier athletes, but good students who also find time to hold down jobs.

It’s a tricky balancing act that involves good time management as well as a lot of drive. But it’s all worth it in the end.

“It’s really rewarding,” Sarah Pray said with a smile.

“That’s why I originally got a job. Was because I wanted to do the French (student) exchange through our school. And it felt good because I turned over a check for $300 as a deposit and it was all my own money. So I plan on paying for that whole trip by myself. So it’s really rewarding.”

Just finishing her sophomore year at Kenmore-West, where she played volleyball and softball, Pray has been working as a clerk at King’ Condrell’s Ice Cream and Candy Shop in Kenmore since October.

“Honestly, I’ve probably found out that kids that are into sports or have done sports are harder workers,”said Rich King. The owners of King’s Condrell’s, Rich, and his wife Melissa  have hired nearly 90 high school students-all but one from Kenmore West - during the 17-years they’ve owned their shop on Delaware Avenue.

King said that the student-athletes that they have employed are a pleasure to have because they enter the job force already having marketable skills like teamwork and how to get along with others. Which is why kids that work at Condrell’s tend to stay for an average of four to five years before moving on.

“They’re more dedicated, I think,” King continued. “They’re more willing to do whatever (we ask).”
While it isn’t always easy to spin the plates of work, school and sports Pray said having and understanding boss like Rich King who can work with your schedule, is huge.

“He’s understands that having a little extra money always helps high school kids,” said Pray.
Pray also said how grateful she is that Rich and Melissa always work with her schedule, even on spur of the moment things.

Pray recalled one scheduling conflict where she had to work the night before traveling to a volleyball tournament in Ohio.

When Rich became aware of the long drive Pray and her family would have ahead if she worked late he simply smiled and told her not to worry. That it was ok to head home and prepare for her trip.

But as King explained, being flexible with the schedules of all of his high school-aged workers is something he and Melissa are very mindful of.

And he knows that going that extra mile for them pays of with a better working environment for everyone. King also stresses to his workers that family and school and the two things they should always hold first in their hearts and minds.

“We always work around their school schedules,” King said. “It doesn’t matter if they’re into sports or not. We want them to (get) educated and move on.”

Johnny Alessandra, who just graduated from Kenmore-East, has balanced a job as a driver at Jacobi’s on Kenmore Ave. during the year while also competing for the Bulldogs varsity football, basketball and track teams.

“My dad (John) knew I’d be able to do it,” said Alessandra. “He wanted me to get a job and make some money. He still gives me some money whenever I need it, he wanted me make some of my own money. And it does help you to mature, too.”

Like Pray, Alessandra said that balancing school, work and sports not only gave him a sense of satisfaction of making his own money.

He also acquired a greater appreciation for a dollar and doesn’t waste his money on needless purchases.
Does the grind ever get to be a bit much? Sure. Are there plenty of late night homework and study sessions after a game or a shift at work? Absolutely. But in the end knowing you can clear those hurdles and do it all well is all part of the satisfaction.

“Yeah you have those days,” Pray said with a big smile. “There’s days where I’ve been up til three in the morning studying after work. But Rich really emphasizes how important school work is and he gave me off before my exams.

There are those days where I wish I didn’t have a sport after school. I wish I could just go home do my home work and go to sleep.”

Alessandra agreed with Pray that sometimes it’s tough. But those tough times and lessons learned better prepare you for life and gives you the confidence to know that you can handle anything that comes along.
“I’m going to be playing football at Buff State,” said Alessandra. “I’m not going to have any day to work but Sunday, that’s going to be my only day. I’m going to have to work all day Sunday and find a way to get my home work in. But I know I can do it because I did it in high school for a year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment